Friday 26 December 2014

Merry Christmas From Muizenberg!




































































Merry Christmas from Muizenberg!

It has been a little different here this time of year. It doesn't quite fit with the type of Christmas we know back in Canada. In some ways I love it because it is much less commercialized and much more laid back here on the shopping and santa craziness but the lack of cold cosy weather and family makes it not feel like Christmas at all. I still find myself thinking, "Was it really Christmas yesterday?" But I know it was and we actually had a really great day. We woke up and exchanged our little presents, went to church and then had a braii with some beautiful people for the afternoon. We finished the evening off with talking to family and watching Elf. We ate far to much food, a years worth of sugar, opened a few gifts, and thanked God for sending Jesus, infant and infinite. He is amazing. 

To be honest a couple of weeks ago I was actually thinking I'd be ok not to really do anything special for Christmas this year. No tree, no lights, just skype family and maybe lay out at the beach all day (funny considering the one day it rained was yesterday). But as I had these thoughts they came with a gentle yet rather forceful reply from God. You need to contemplate Christmas. So I did. I sat and I though and I prayed and I read the story of Jesus and I became so convicted. It is amazing how even though you know without a doubt that Christmas is not about to time of year and the people and food and warm drinks and carols you still forget. Christmas is about Jesus but I can so easily exchange Him for everything else. Just because it didn't feel like Christmas I was fine not celebrating one of the most important events in history. I love celebrating with my family and the fellowship that happens this time of year but in a way my heart is thankful that I had to celebrate it with out all of the normal joys and comforts. It made me focus on the real joy and the real Christmas Spirit. I didn't wake up to a big tree and a lots of presents and my family and beautiful snow but I did wake with heart full of joy and adoration and wonder at the fact that I got to celebrate the life of Jesus Christ. In that aspect may everyday be like Christmas. It's really the craziest thing. My Saviour came as a little baby. He grew, He learned, He obeyed, He conquered death and He claimed freedom forever in the presence of God. That is something to celebrate. 

Also, we did have a little tree. Our house mate Joe is amazing and decided last weekend he needed a tree so he took a branch from the back yard and beautifully decorated it with lights and proteas. A very South African branch. Perfect. Hopefully we will get to have Christmas in Canada next year or the year after. There really is something so special about a Northern Christmas but until then SA it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jillian Lewis Blog. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.